In 1996, “ THE WEBBY AWARDS” were launched by the New York based International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences in recognition of the biggest Internet related events of the year.
Among the top ten recipients of the past decade are:
- The emergence of the iPhone
- The election of U.S. President Barack Obama
- The Iranian election in 2009 – when protesters demonstrated the power of Twitter and other social networking in reshaping a democracy.
- Craigslist – the free classifieds site, expanded outside San Francisco in 2000, impacting newspaper publishers everywhere.
- Google AdWords – launched in 2000 allowing advertisers to target their customers with laser-sharp precision.
- The launch of Wikipedia – the free open-source encyclopedia, launched in 2001 and today it boasts more than 14 million articles in 271 different languages and brings strangers together on projects around the world.
“The Internet is the story of the decade because; it was the
catalyst for change not only in every aspect of our everyday lives but also in everything from commerce and communication to politics and pop culture,” said David-Michel Davies, the executive director of The Webby Awards. “The recurring theme among all of the milestones on our list is the Internet’s capacity to circumvent old systems and put more power into the hands of ordinary people,” he added.
“The Internet is today’s reality”, claims Gordon Reid V.P marketing and sales for www.webandrank.com. After years of painstaking and tedious manipulations of algorithms that drive search engines, our guys have “nailed” it”, he said.
“We are the dark-horse emerging in the rarefied atmosphere of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), the Golden Goose. Company after company is coming to us for consultation on services related to SEO. They want to be number one on the Internet. Nobody wants a thirty second spot on the SuperBowl any more!”
By: V.P. Marketing/Sales – Gordon Reid